Population: 72,518 (2013)
Incorporated as a city: January 13, 1959
Visitors to Union City shouldn’t miss:
- Eden Landing Ecological Reserve, a nature reserve in Union City.
- The weekly Union City Farmers’ Market. which brings fresh fruits and vegetables direct from California farmers to residents.
- The annual Adobo Festival celebrating Filipino food and music.
Companies with major presence in Union City:
- American Licorice Company’s West Coast Site
- Blommer Chocolate Company
- Axygen Scientific Inc
Working on an assembly line at Finelite in Union City as part of my monthly “In Your Shoes” events
Notable current and former residents:
- Vicky Galindo, US women’s national softball team player
- Eddie House, NBA player
- Roy Williams, former NFL safety
- Nate Robinson, NBA player
- SuChin Pak, MTV news correspondent
- The first Alameda County Courthouse was located in Union City.
- New Haven School District in Union City won a $29 million Department of Education ‘Race to the Top’ grant in 2012.
- Home to the first Sugar Beet factory in the United States, known as the California Sugar Beet Company.
- Although the City of Union City was incorporated in 1959, the name Union City can actually be traced back to 1850 when settlers John and William Horner visited an oasis by the Bay and laid out a small settlement town eight square blocks, which they called “Union City.” It is said that the name originates from the Horners’ Sacramento River steamer called “The Union.”
- Cesar Chavez Middle School is built on former tomato fields where Chavez used to organize workers.
- Union City dedicated a Flight 93 memorial at Sugar Mill Landing Park. It was the first memorial in the US dedicated just to that flight.