Committees, Leadership and Caucuses
House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence
The House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence is charged with oversight of the United States intelligence community, which includes the intelligence related activities of 17 elements of the U.S. Government, and the Military Intelligence Program.
- Chair, Intelligence Modernization and Readiness Subcommittee: This subcommittee oversees overall management of the Intelligence Community: the policies and programs focused on making sure that all 17 U.S. intelligence agencies have the workforce, infrastructure and services they need to succeed. This involves fostering greater collaboration and better use of resources across the entire Intelligence Community in personnel management, security clearance reform, information technology modernization, and other areas.
House Committee on the Judiciary
The Judiciary Committee has jurisdiction over matters relating to the administration of justice in federal courts, administrative bodies, and law enforcement agencies.
- Member, Subcommittee on Antitrust, Commercial and Administrative Law: This subcommittee has jurisdiction over bankruptcy and commercial law, bankruptcy judgeships, administrative law, independent counsel, state taxation affecting interstate commerce, interstate compacts, antitrust matters, other appropriate matters as referred by the Chairman, and relevant oversight.
- Member, Subcommittee on Courts, Intellectual Property, and the Internet: This subcommittee has jurisdiction over the Administration of the U.S. Courts, the Federal Rules of Evidence, Civil and Appellate Procedure, judicial ethics, patent, trademark law and information technology.
House Committee on Homeland Security
The Homeland Security Committee oversees the development of the Department of Homeland Security, dealing with issues including the COVID-19 pandemic, defending our homeland from violent extremism and domestic terrorism, border security policies, cybersecurity, transportation and maritime security, and emergency preparedness, response and recovery.
Co-chair, House Democratic Steering & Policy Committee
I was selected by Democratic Leader Pelosi and elected by my colleagues to help lead this committee, which sets the Democratic policy agenda and nominates Democratic Members for committee assignments.
I founded and am Chairman Emeritus of Future Forum, a group of young Democratic Members of Congress focused on issues and opportunities for millennial Americans.
Democratic Policy & Communications Committee (DPCC)
I serve on the Policy & Communications Committee, which is tasked with developing a Caucus-wide message that forcefully communicates where House Democrats stand on issues to the American people. I am leading the committee’s outreach to millennial audiences.
I co-founded and serve as co-chair of:
- The bipartisan Congressional Critical Materials Caucus, to help the United States develop the technical expertise and production capabilities to assure a long-term, secure and sustainable supply of energy critical elements used in manufacturing advanced technologies including cell phones, laptops, jet engines, gas and wind turbines, nuclear reactors, solar panels, and more. A shortage of these elements could significantly impede Americans’ ability to afford and use these technologies, and would hurt both our global competitiveness and our national security.
- The bicameral, bipartisan Congressional Personalized Medicine Caucus, to expand support for, and knowledge of, personalized medicine by enhancing public awareness of the field and advocating for policies in support of its advancement. Personalized medicine, also known as precision or individualized medicine, is an emerging field that utilizes genetic and genomic testing to help improve patient diagnoses and customize medical treatments. By combining this information with patient records, values, and individual circumstances, physicians can work with patients to come up with comprehensive and holistic treatment plans that are best suited for them.
I am also a member of the:
- Ad Hoc Committee for Irish Affairs
- Animal Rights Caucus
- Anti-Bullying Caucus
- Congressional Asian Pacific America Caucus
- Congressional Dyslexia Caucus
- Cybersecurity Caucus
- Democratic Whip’s Taskforce on Poverty and Opportunity
- Diabetes Caucus
- Friends of Ireland
- Future Caucus
- High Tech Caucus
- India Caucus
- International Religious Freedom Caucus
- Internet Caucus
- Ports Caucus
- Science and Labs Caucus
- Sikh Caucus
- Soccer Caucus (former co-chair)
- Tom Lantos Human Rights Commission
- United Solutions Caucus (co-founder)
- Victims’ Rights Caucus
- Wine Caucus